The College supports teaching and learning in a variety of different ways. Look at the sections below to learn about course support at St Charles.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College is proud of its outstanding Learning Support Department. We are a team of five teachers providing specialist support for a huge variety of learners and their specific needs, including:
- Those with a specific learning difficulty/disability
- Learners with English as an Additional Language (EAL) needs
- Those who may have had an interrupted educationLearners with low literacy / numeracy skills
- Students who feel they may benefit from coursework planning, organisation as well as revision and exam techniques
We support a wide range of needs and learners, from students on a Level 1 Vocational Studies course to those studying 4 A levels
Students are seen by a qualified teacher on an individual, pair or small group basis generally once a week. Lessons are always timetabled in learners’ free periods; taking place in the Learning Support Department
There are students at college whose needs go beyond one hour a support a week. We aim to see learners who may benefit from specific support when they first come to college for their interview. At enrolment, all students who may need Learning Support will have a conversation with a member of the Learning Support team so that individual needs can be met as soon as possible
As a team, we are proud of the relationship we have with group teachers and subject teachers. Contact is frequent to enable the individual learner to benefit from Learning Support as much as possible.
Last year, we went to see the theatre production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream and some of us were lucky enough to meet the stars: Catherine Tate and David Tennant
We have had some wonderful trips to sights around London. The summer excursion to Brighton has become an annual event – come rain or shine!
Please contact the Head of Learning Support: M McHugh – firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
Watch the video below for further information:
The Library Service at St Charles Catholic Sixth Form supports teaching and learning within the College, through the provision of relevant teaching resources and the development of study and information skills.
The Library Service aims to equip students with the knowledge and skills that help them to become independent learners.
The Library includes:
- 72 study spaces
- A full enquiry service staffed by qualified librarians and an experienced library assistant
- A dedicated area for reading newspapers and magazines
- An upstairs Gallery for quiet, private study
IT & Computing Facilities:
- An IT Room with 28 computers and printing and scanning facilities
- 3 Apple iMacs
- A Library catalogue station
- All computers have MS Office programs and full Internet access
- A bank of electronic resources specifically selected for the students' needs. These resources include online newspaper databases, subject specific revision sites, online encyclopaedias and many more
Resources & Services:
- A collection of approximately 16,000 print items, including fiction and non-fiction
- Daily newspapers
- Subscriptions to a large number of journals and magazines
- An excellent collection of DVDs and DVD players for the students to watch films in the library
- Photocopying (colour and black & white)
- Subject-specific displays and promotions
- A wide range of printed help materials
We offer a full enquiry service and are happy to help both staff and students with locating resources either online or in the Library itself.
We are open from Monday to Friday 8.30am until 5pm, The Library closes every day from 10.50am until 11.10am so that students can attend registration.
General Enquiries: 020 8968 7755 x217 | Email: email@example.com