Sixth Form Course Options Explained
Picking the right course for your sixth form study is an exciting time. At St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College, we offer you a range of engaging courses to suit your individual needs and prospective career choices. These include A levels, Vocational Level 3 and Level 2 courses, as well as Foundation Level 1 courses.
- Advanced Level Qualifications, otherwise known as A Levels, are full-time 2-year subject based courses, ideal for students looking to study at University, seek training or work.
- Learners have the option of choosing to study 3 or more A Levels of their choice, given they meet entry requirements, over a 2-year sixth form study period.
- A Levels are usually assessed with a series of examinations.
- Entry Requirements: Minimum 6 GCSEs at grade 9-4 (A*- C) (including English Language) for A Level study programmes.
Vocational Courses Level 3
- Vocational Courses including BTECs and CTECs are offered in our curriculum. These are full-time 2-year courses, best suited for students who have a good understanding of what they wish to study at University, engage in further training in or pursue as employment.
- Entry Requirements: Minimum 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grade 4 (C) or above for vocational study programmes.
- Students can choose between BTEC National Diplomas with an A Level or supporting course or Cambridge Technical Diplomas (CTECs) with another supportive course.
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Courses are usually taken as a standalone subject, as they are the equivalent to 3 A-Levels.
Vocational Courses Level 2
- Vocational Level 2 courses are full-time 1-year courses.
- Learners can choose between a range of Vocational Level 2 Courses including Business, Health & Social Care, Travel & Tourism, IT, Sport and Art & Design, along with a supporting GCSE Course.
- On completion students can progress onto a Level 3 Extended Diploma or National Diploma.
- Entry Requirements: Four grade 3 (D) or equivalent.
Foundation Learning Level 1
- This is a Vocational full-time 1-year course.
- Students can progress on successful completion of this course onto Level 2 Vocational Courses or work.
- Entry Requirements: Whilst this course is ideal for students with Grade 3 (D) or below, it is important that a good record of attendance/punctuality, time-management and team-work skills are evident on application.
Students who have not achieved a minimum of Grade 2 in GCSE Maths and GCSE English will be required to follow a Functional skills programme alongside their study programme. On successful completion, learners will then be able to progress in GCSE Maths and English.