Level: Advanced (Level 3)Awarding Body: Edexcel
Why study ICT?
An ability to work with all types of IT systems is as essential to education, life and workplace success as ‘reading, writing and arithmetic’. No matter what your chosen pathway in life, ICT will enhance your skills in a wide range of current and topical content such as social media, cyber security, programming, software development and project management. These are skills which can open new doors to enjoyment, enlightenment and very lucrative employment opportunities making ICT students the best prepared for a digitally enhanced, globally competitive world.
A dynamic discipline in its own right, ICT teaches transferable skills which link closely to, and increase performance levels within, other subjects, and will be an asset to you throughout your time at college and beyond. When 3 out of the top 4 jobs available to university graduates are based within the ICT industry why would you choose any other subject?
What can it lead to?
- Computer Programmers
- Web Designers
- Project Managers
- Social Media Managers
- Social Community Managers
- Security/Networking Analysts
- Technology Support
- Mobile Application Developers
- Technical Trainers/Managers
- Digital Specialists
- Web Development Specialists
Many of our students continue to study ICT, programming, software development, games design and other related degrees at university, whilst others use it as a stepping stone to study another discipline. Many also go onto high quality IT apprenticeships with well-known big companies.
The transferable skills developed whilst studying ICT include problem solving, project management, creative thinking, the capacity for independent enquiry and team working which are all highly valued skills for further education as well as prized by top quality employers.
How is the course organised?
The course is valued as the equivalent of 2 A Levels.
Exam Board: Edexcel
The course is valued as the equivalent of 2 A Levels for UCAS purposes and can be taken along with another A-level.
Unit 02 Creating Systems to Manage Information (E)
Unit 06 Website Development
Unit 09 IT Project Management (E)
Unit 11 Cyber Security and Incident Management
Unit 01 Information Technology Systems (E)
Unit 03 Using Social Media in Business
Unit 04 Programming
Unit 05 Data Modelling
NB: Unit delivery schedule is subject to change based on timetabling
How is the course assessed?
Teaching is a combination of theoretical lessons and practical work. It is essential that learners have a good working knowledge of the basic application packages (word processing, spreadsheets and databases).
Assessment for this course is 46% external; comprising 2 set tasks (controlled assessment) and an examination. The remaining 54% is internally assessed coursework.
In order to gain the Diploma, learners must complete all 8 units to at least pass grade standard.
For the coursework units feedback will be given by the subject teacher on each assessment, with the opportunity for improvement, and exemplar materials will be made available so students can assess for themselves their own standard of work.
What do I need to qualify for this course?
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4/5 (C) including GCSE Maths and English. If GCSE Computer Science was studied this needs to be a minimum grade 4.
Or Alternatively BTEC L2 in ICT grade MP or MM plus GCSE Maths and English at grade 4
Units have been selected to reflect the demands of current industry practices. However, as well as developing a clear grounding in the subject knowledge, this qualification also aims to promote the necessary skills required by universities and future employers.
Who are the teachers?
The ICT Department staff have over 40 years teaching experience collectively. Academic qualifications include B Eng in Electronic Engineering and an MSC in Engineering, a masters in Information Systems and a BA in IT and Education.
Industrial experience includes Research and Development at BT, working for Natwest and network management in a large community library.
What do the students say about the course?
I love the atmosphere of the lessons, they are easy going and yet I feel like I am learning all of the time
Gamal, Year 12
I love learning new things, especially the multimedia aspects of the course
Monica, Year 12
ICT allowed me to expand upon the knowledge I had developed throughout my education. I would strongly advise other students to choose this subject as it is a great stepping stone into university
Yusuf, Year 13
What else should I know about?
There are three dedicated ICT rooms with 20 networked computers per room. There is wireless internet access across the college, printing facilities, interactive smartboards and projectors. In addition there is a bank of 20 ‘off line laptops’ used for lessons where network restrictions are removed. Many lessons will make use of mobile technology in the form of laptops, tablets and smartphones.